Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What motivates you to run?




For me, the best thing about running is getting so "me" time, and I find it a great way for clearing my head. Particularly on sunny mornings when I drop the kids at school and run up to the downs near where I love. Running round one of the world's most famous horse race tracks on a clear and bright day, looking over London has to take some beating in my book...

I asked a couple of runners why they run.




And here's what they said...




Jason Ritchie






What motivates you to run?

Fitness, fundraising, 'me' time & my eight year old daughter

Why did you run in the marathon?

I have run London twice (1998 & 1999) plus the Potteries marathon (1999). Two were for charity, the other as it is my hometown. I ran them mainly to prove to myself I could after finding 10ks becoming too easy! Plus I find it a great way to raise money for various charities.

What was your best time?

Best I did was 4hrs 33mins in my first London marathon. I would still love to do both marathons one more time plus the Snowdown marathon. But for now a 10k is a big challenge after nearly six years of not running!

How have you managed to motivate yourself to do the training? (particularly in winter)

My lovely daughter who would have me running three times a day if she had her way and having a race to train for. I find it hard to go out running unless I have something to train for.

What music do you run to (if you do)?

Lots... Bit of metal for the hard graft like Judas Priest, Devin Townsend, Threshold and anything really with a bit of an uptempo beat like Night Ranger, Journey, the Levellers, Jackie Leven, the Proclaimers, James, Magnum, the Feeling, Mika etc. But no dance, r'n'b or jazz.


And here's what Donna Aoiller said...

What motivates you to run?

Well I was motivated to run because I suffered an eating disorder from the ages of 15-20 and I started to go to the gym to help my body back to health when I came out of hospital on my way to recovery, and running became part of my training, and I loved it so I started on the roads, and gave up the gym completely for running.

Why are you running in the marathon?

I am running the marathon to raise money for the hospital that treated me for my Turners Syndrome, during my difficult period of diagnosis. I want to give them something back. The hospital is Manchester Childrens Hospital and they are hoping to raise money to build a new hospital to bring the two sites together.

What sort of time are you hoping for?

I am not really thinking of times, I just want to get round the course in one piece.

How did you motivate yourself?


I motivated myself by thinking of my achievement in London, and by running two 10ks and two half marathons in the run up to London.


What sort of music do you run to?

I run to up beat pop type music such as Girls Aloud, but also like 80s stuff like donna summer and kylie. Also abba features on there as well.

Would you do it again?

ask me after 26.2 miles!

Thanks to Jason and Donna for sharing their experiences - and best of luck, Donna on Sunday!

1 Comments:

At 11:01 pm BST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discovered running when I was 20. Having been even crapper than my lovely sister at sport it was a revelation to find out I could run and really enjoy it.

But I lost the plot in my 30's (falling in love, working hard, having babies, that sort of thing) and running became a thing I used to do. One day I woke up and I was nearly 40, seriously overweight (thanks to aforesaid babies) & a full time mum. So I got out my running shoes & started running in the country lane behind the house we were living in at the time. That spring 3 years ago reminded me what I'd been missing all those years. I rediscovered how quickly you can build up speed and distance; how the days when you drag yourself out of the house are transformed once you start putting your feet on the road; and I found again the sheer joy of the wind on your face and the freedom of moving your legs as fast as they can go.

Since then I've run many many miles. Some have been easy - the wonderful occasions when body, mind and soul have been totally synchronised and I have literally felt like I am flying. Others have been a struggle, when my legs have felt like lead, when injury has forced a painful walk home, when the cold rain has sunk into my bones and every mile has hurt. I have limped my way round the Marathon in a painfully slow (but incredibly enjoyable) time of 6hrs 15, I have done several 5K and 10K races with the satisfaction of seeing my times improving. I have joined a running club, the fabulous Headington Road Runners, and discovered the pleasures of running with the pack. But I can honestly say that whatever the weather, whatever the time I run, whatever the pain I run with, I always come back feeling better for it.

Running is simply the best legal high I know. It's cheap, I can do it anywhere, and I have discovered that it is an essential part of who I am. When I can't run through injury or illness I am grouchy and miserable. When I run, I feel that I can do anything.

Why do I run? Because it makes me feel fabulous, because it makes me me. Because I let go of it for the best part of a decade, and I will never ever make that mistake again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home